The aim of this GSoC project is to provide a convenient way to access documentation in the Juno IDE. Any work on this has to be on the Julia side (for getting the necessary information by introspection) and on the Atom side (for presenting said information).
Most of the work on the Julia side went into a new package, DocSeeker.jl, which implements all of the introspection necessary to get docstrings from installed packages; a small shim in Atom.jl (Atom.jl#99) then delegates any front end requests to that package.
alldocs(), which will return information about all symbols available in the current Julia session. Those symbols are easily found by recursing through all currently loaded
Modules and calling
Base.names()on them. Additionally, Julia's docsystem collects all symbols with attached docstrings, which can be easily retrieved.
All of that is pretty slow – it takes on the order of half a second on my machine with a couple of loaded packages (and returns information about ~13,000 symbols). At the same time the available symbols don't change too often, so caching is a viable solution.
alldocs, but I've decided on a few that turned out to be most important while testing:
Exported: Julia doesn't (yet) have a way to make certain symbols part of a module's public API, so I'm using the set of exported symbols instead.
Module: It's possible to search in a specified module, in all loaded modules or in all installed modules.
Search: Either in names only, or in names and docstrings.
That last point warrants some more information, because it's not as trivial as the other two to get at least somewhat right. The basic problem here is a (fuzzy) full text search, which is what each search engine out there in the depth of the internet tries to do. Naturally there are quite a few (open source) implementations out there already: solr, lunr (which is used by docs.julialang.org), but also e.g. the FTS extension for SQL and many more.
A custom implementation did not seem too hard at first, but requires a good scoring function that, given a search query
needle, maps a docstring to a number between 0 and 1:
At first I tried rolling my own string comparison function (with mixed success), but then I stumbled upon the excellent StringDistances.jl which does pretty much all I needed.
The scoring function is applied to all relevant symbols in a threaded loop (which gives a free 1.5x speedup on my machine); afterwards all applicable filters are applied and the top 20 results are returned.
Filtering and searching takes about 0.1s on my machine, which means that it's almost negligible compared to the time necessary for retrieving the docstrings.
If you've used Juno before you may notice the much improved markdown rendering (which is of course available all throughout Juno): There's syntax highlighting, LaTeX rendering and lots of general improvements.
Apart from that the docpane UI shows most relevant information (type of the binding, defining module, whether the binding is exported etc.); a click on the binding will take you to the defining location and a click on the module will give some information on that. Links also generally work fine (external ones will open in your default browser, while those defined with Documenter.jl's
[link](@ref) syntax will start a new search).